Software engineering has broadly been defined as the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to development, operation, and maintenance of software; that is, the application of engineering to software. Software allows us to put technology to use by making it accessible. There are a number of software packages and programs available today, ranging from the latest version of Doom to diagnostic software used by physicians.
There are many diploma and degree courses available to groom software engineers. Aspirants seeking a diploma or a bachelor degree in software engineering should have atleast passed 12th standard from any recognized board with a minimum of 45% marks.
A software engineer can get into the following domains:
Software-Making - Software is a set of programmed instructions that enable a computer to perform specified functions. The versatility of the tasks undertaken by the computer depends on its sophistication and the quality and complexity of the software provided. This sectors is involved in designing programs for various purposes and is further divided into:
• System Software: programs that control's computer's mode of operation. Systems software is usually developed by vendors and R&D institutes.
• Application Software: covers user-friendly programmes specially devised to comply with the day-to-day activities of an organization.
• Application Packages: are general usage programs that meet requirements common to large number of people. Software development is a continuous process that requires additions and modifications in accordance with the user's changing needs. The scope of this sector includes training in IT areas, contract services at customer locations, software products and processing services.
Where to apply
• Indian Institute of Information Technology - IIIT Bangalore - http://www.iiitb.ac.in/
• Tata Institute of Fundamental Research - TIFR Mumbai-http://www.tifr.res.in/
• Indian Institute of Science - IISc Bangalore - http://www.csa.iisc.ernet.in/
• Indian Institute of Technology - IIT Madras - http://www.cs.iitm.ernet.in/
• K.R.School of Information Technology - KRESIT - IIT Bombay - http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/
• Indian Institute of Technology - IIT Bombay - http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/
• Indian Institute of Technology - IIT Kanpur - http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/
• Indian Institute of Information Technology - IIIT Hyderabad - http://www.iiit.net/